Learn to use Photometric Toolbox®
If you are under 40 there is a good chance you may never have seen a complete photometric report (on paper) from a laboratory. Manufacturers offer their luminaire photometry electronically in IES standard format and have “some” details either online or in a “cut-sheet”. However, if you want to see ALL the information that can be computed from an IES file, you need Photometric Toolbox.
Photometric Toolbox is very easy to use from a software perspective. However, as the topic of luminaire photometry is complex, some of the things you can do with the software might test your knowledge. The software is a great way to learn more about luminaire photometry and your best learning resource when experimenting is the programs’ Help system.
The basic workflow for Photometric Toolbox is as follows:
- Open a photometric file (IES, LDT, CIB)
- Using the open command
- Select from the Instabase
- Drag-n-drop to the left column
- Drag-n-drop on to the desktop icon
- Double-click on the file in Windows Explorer (if the default file association has not been changed)
- Select the photometric file or files to act upon in the left column of the software by checking the box. You may not want to act upon all open files at one time. You can select them and de-select them as needed when performing actions.
- Select an action to perform using the Tool buttons across the top of the software form. All checked files will be acted upon. For example, three files checked will yield three Indoor reports.
- Basic reports are Indoor, Road& Flood tools
- 3D view of the “web” with the View tool
- Scaled iso-fc(lux) templates with Template tool
- Compare two or three files with the Compare tool
- Edit files using the Edit tool
- Convert test position or photometric type (B, C) using the Convert tool
- Save as another format (IES, LDT, CIB) using Save As…
- Create new IES files using the New tool
Watch the Overview video if you have not already done so.