The Convert Tool in Photometric Toolbox converts Type C to Type B photometry and vice versa. It also allows the specification of alternative luminaire positioning angles to effectively change the test position of a luminaire. For example: turn a downlight into an uplight. The new re-positioned candela information can then be saved as a new photometric file.
The features available in the Convert Tool include:
- Change the density of the photometric web by specifying a new angle set
- Remove unwanted and/or unnecessary angles from the photometric web (IESNA File Format conventions still apply)
- Change the current photometric type (e.g. convert Type C photometry to Type B and vice versa)
- Change the luminaire testing position by applying up to four aiming angles: Orient, Tilt, Roll and Spin
Converting Photometric Files
The Convert Tool provides a single dialog for converting a selected photometric file in many different ways.
The Convert Photometric Type and/or Angles section allows you to convert between photometric types easily. You can even specify the photometric web parameters yourself. If you just want to change the photometric web, this section allows you to choose from standardized angle formats or customize your own.
The Modify Luminaire Test Position section allows you to specify a custom luminaire position using the standard luminaire rotation angles (Orient, Tilt, Roll and Spin). Photometric files converted in this manner will include a complete spherical photometric web (Type C data) to ensure that no data is lost.
A custom keyword ([_CONVERT]) is added to the photometric file to indicate the file has been converted along with a brief description of the conversion.
Who can benefit from the Convert Tool?
- Manufacturers – Use the Convert Tool to convert between types or change the luminaire testing position. By not having to retest the luminaire in a photometric lab for these reasons, you can save big $$$. This tool will pay for itself with just one conversion.
- Agents – Provide photometric data to your customers with custom rotation angles when required. Do your customers want photometric data for a downlight, when it was tested as an uplight? You can provide them with this information in one easy step with the Convert Tool.
- Specifiers – Do you need to know BUG rating or LCS lumens for dark sky compatibility information for rotated optics? You can easily obtain this information by using the Convert Tool. Simply, apply the required position angles in the Convert Tool and quantify the results using the IES Road Report Tool.